The Santa Monica Police Department will be focusing on bicycle accident prevention during the month of April.
Each month, Santa Monica's Traffic Enforcement Unit is focusing on a different driving behavior in an attempt to reduce accidents and injuries in Santa Monica.
There have been 37 accidents involving bicyclists in Santa Monica since January 1, 2012. In most of the accidents, it was determined that the other party was at fault. The most common causes when the bicyclist was found at fault were either the bicyclist failing to stop at a traffic signal, or the bicyclist traveling at an unsafe speed.
Bicycle riders in Santa Monica should be mindful of the following rules and tips:
- A person riding a bicycle upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to vehicle drivers (California Vehicle Code Section 21200)
- Bicyclists under 18 are required by law to wear helmets. For safety, adult bicyclists are advised to wear helmets.
- Ride with traffic, not against traffic.
- Never wear headphones while bicycle riding.
- Bicycle riding is prohibited on sidewalks.
- Ride to the right, staying a safe distance from parked car doors, the curb and gutters.
- Communicate with motorists, other bicyclists and pedestrians by using hand signals and eye contact.
- Be on the lookout for sewer grates, gravel, potholes and oily pavement.
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a bicycle accident, speak with a
Santa Monica personal injury lawyer at McGee, Lerer & Associates. An attorney at our firm is available 24/7 to provide a free consultation. If you hire our law firm, you pay us nothing up front. We are paid out of the money we collect for you. If we collect nothing, you pay us nothing.