Pacific Coast Highway Accidents
The stretch of Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica, through Pacific Palisades and Malibu, and ending at the Ventura County line, is one of the most dangerous highways in the country. Some have referred to it as "Blood Alley" because of the high number of fatal traffic accidents that have occurred on the roadway.
Serious injuries and deaths resulting from car accidents,
bicycle accidents, and
pedestrian accidents regularly occur on PCH. Nearly all involve some combination of: drunk driving, speeding, driving at night, illegal U-turns, not wearing seatbelts, falling asleep at the wheel, and young or elderly drivers. If you have been the victim of an accident on the Pacific Coast Highway, you should consult with a
Santa Monica personal injury lawyer to learn your rights.
Pacific Coast Highway Dangers
The high number of accidents on the Pacific Coast Highway are attributed to many factors, including:
- A speed limit that's too high
- Beachgoers sprinting across the highway
- Bicyclists fighting for a share of the too-narrow road
- A bad combination of commuter traffic, slower beach traffic, and tourist traffic
- Dangerous left and U-turns
- No shoulder for stalled vehicles due to the concrete barriers intended to catch rock and mudslides
Safety Measures under Consideration to Reduce the Number of Accidents on PCH
Concerned community members have asked Caltrans, which owns and operates PCH, and the L.A. Sheriff's Department, which patrols it, to institute safety improvements, including:
- Reducing the speed limit
- Increasing the number of traffic signals
- Introducing more turn lanes
- Banning parking on the inland side of PCH in order to reduce the number of beachgoers who run across the road
- More crosswalks and enhancement of existing crosswalks
- Installation of K-rails: knee-high concrete barriers that deflect errant cars and prevent head-on collisions
- Installation of more "Watch for Pedestrians," "Share the Road" and "No Pedestrian Crossing" signs
- More sheriffs deputies to patrol PCH
How a Santa Monica Accident Attorney Can Help
At McGee Lerer & Associates, attorneys Daniel McGee and Catherine Lerer have represented many Pacific Coast Highway accident victims and their families. With a practice focused 100% on personal injury, we know the types of issues these cases entail and we will use every resource possible to make sure you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Contact a Santa Monica Personal Injury Lawyer
at our firm for a free consultation if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident on PCH.