Talk to an Attorney 24/7/365
Local: 310.692.9582 Toll-Free 888.378.9650
401 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1200, Santa Monica, CA 90401

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Coverage

What Every Person Needs to Know

At McGee, Lerer & Associates, we have seen the devastating effects of what can happen to a person who is injured in an accident where the at-fault driver doesn't have auto insurance. Unless you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your chances of pursuing a claim against the at-fault driver are next to nothing. Although you can sue the person directly, in most cases if they don't have auto insurance, they can't afford to pay you for damages.

If you were injured in a car accident, please contact a Santa Monica personal injury lawyer from our firm immediately. We can explain the importance of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and how it can cover you in the event you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

How does uninsured & underinsured motorist coverage work?

In the event that you are injured in a car accident and the at-fault driver doesn't have auto insurance coverage, or if they only carry liability coverage, then your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will automatically kick in. This coverage will pay for your medical bills, pain & suffering, as well as lost income incurred as a direct result of the auto collision. It would also cover you if you were a pedestrian, on a bicycle or on a scooter.

You don't have to be concerned about using your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, for using it will not increase your insurance premiums in any way. What's more, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage only reflects approximately 10% of your insurance premiums, so it is the best insurance you can have in an auto accident. Failure to have such coverage can cost you tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket if you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Santa Monica Personal Injury Lawyer

Southern California is plagued with uninsured and underinsured drivers. For this reason, we cannot stress enough how important it is to maintain uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your own auto insurance policy. Now the question is how much coverage should you have?

If you have $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident, then it's not enough. We recommend carrying a minimum of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident. Better yet: $250,000/$500,000.

Find out if you currently have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If your insurance agent tells you that you have "full coverage," that is not the same thing. Also, make sure your children have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, as well as your siblings, your spouse or any other driver that you care about.

To learn more about the claims process, contact a Santa Monica personal injury lawyer from the firm today!