Skip to Content
Hit and Run and Uninsured Driver Accidents

Bicyclists Struck by Hit-and-Run Vehicle or Uninsured Driver

What Most Bicycle Accident Victims Don't Know

Most bicycle accident victims don't know that if they own a car which has uninsured motorist coverage, then their own auto insurance policy will pay for their injuries in the following situations:

  • Bicyclist is hit by an uninsured driver
  • Bicyclist is hit by an underinsured driver (An "underinsured driver" is a driver who has auto insurance, but not enough to cover the value of the cyclist's injury claim.)
  • Bicyclist is struck by a hit-and-run driver (There must be physical contact between the hit-and-run driver and the bicyclist or bicycle in order for the cyclist's uninsured motorist coverage to apply.)
  • Child riding a bicycle is hit by an uninsured driver, underinsured driver, or hit-and-run driver (In this case, if the child's parents have uninsured motorist coverage, it will apply.)

Compensation a Bicyclist Accident Victim Can Obtain When Making an Uninsured Motorist Claim

When a bicycle accident victim makes an uninsured motorist claim, he or she can collect the same compensation that the bicyclist would have been able to collect from the negligent driver. The only difference: now the source of the payment is the bicyclist's auto insurance instead of the negligent driver's auto insurance.

A bike accident victim making an uninsured motorist claim is entitled to compensation for:

  • Injuries
  • Medical bills – past and future
  • Lost wages – past and future
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering – past and future

Making an Uninsured Motorist Claim Will Not Increase Your Insurance Premiums

You need not worry that making an uninsured motorist claim will cause your car insurance premiums to go up. Your auto insurance carrier cannot raise your rates if you were not at fault for the bicycle accident.

Our Recommendation for Avid Bike Riders – Carry Uninsured Motorist Coverage

At McGee, Lerer & Associates, we are huge proponents of carrying uninsured motorist coverage, especially if you or your child is an avid bicyclist. You need to protect yourself and your children in case you or your children, while biking, are injured as the result of a hit-and-run driver, or uninsured/underinsured driver.

How much uninsured motorist coverage should you have? At a minimum, we recommend an uninsured motorist policy limit of $100,000 per person. Even better: $250,000 per person. With so many uninsured drivers on the road, having uninsured motorist coverage is the only way you protect yourself. Click here to find out more about uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Contact a Santa Monica bike accident lawyer at McGee, Lerer & Associates for a free consultation 24/7 if you or a loved one have been struck by an uninsured driver, an underinsured driver, or a hit-and-run driver.


Why Choose McGee, Lerer & Associates?

What Makes Us Different
  • Four Convenient Locations
    We have 4 offices in Southern California - Los Angeles, Pasadena, Santa Monica, & Long Beach.
  • 24/7 Availability
    We're available before and after normal business hours to meet with you and start your case.
  • No Fees Unless We Win
    Until and unless we succeed in providing your compensation, we don't charge you a dime. Learn more here.
  • Personalized Attention
    We take the time to understand each aspect of your case in order to tailor your solution.

Contact Us Today

100% Free Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Our Previous Clients Tell Their Stories

Learn What It's Like to Work With Our Firm

At McGee, Lerer & Associates, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.

    "This law firm is very professional"

    After my car accident, I didn't know what to do. I tried to fix the problem myself, and my insurance ignored me. After speaking with Catherine and her working group Maria and Nick, I have actually been able to achieve what my insurance said would not be po

    "They make you feel like you are their only customer"

    They were always available to answer my messages and questions. I am very grateful to them. I recommend them.

    "They sit and talk to you before making any moves or decisions. I would highly recommend them!"

    Very professional. Made my case go smoothly and made me feel comfortable during it. They kept me updated constantly whenever anything new came about. They sit and talk to you before making any moves or decisions. I would highly recommend them! Thank you gu

    - J.L.
    "they are the ones you want in your corner in any automobile accident."

    I had Catherine represent me and my grandmother 10 years ago in a car accident. I couldn't tell you how professional and quickly she handled our case. Catherines strong determination against the issuance companies got us to get the medical rehabilitation w

    - A.G.
    "I was referred to them by my brother who had them handle his case as well, I wouldn’t go to any other lawyer"

    I was in a motorcycle accident back in May and Catherine and Joanna have been able to help me through the entire process, I was referred to them by my brother who had them handle his case as well, I wouldn’t go to any other lawyer

    - R.J.
    "We could not have asked for a better outcome!"

    I am writing this review on behalf of my son. We can’t recommend the McGee-Lerer team strongly enough. I found them online ...

    - Brent, Google Review
    "They have restored my faith in lawyers!"

    Don't hesitate to hire these guys. I had heard nothing but horror stories about accident attorneys before hiring them. But I ...

    - Omana, Google Review
    "They wanted to know what was important to me, what were my concerns and questions. I liked that."

    My dentist and my friend's dad both recommended this firm. So glad they did. I was very happy with how they handled my case. ...

    - Darya, Google Review